Call for Papers
New Orleans, July 21-24, 2022
The 43rd annual meeting of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic will convene July 21-24, 2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The Program Committee invites proposals for sessions and papers exploring all aspects of and approaches to the history and culture of the early American republic, c. 1776-1861. We particularly encourage submissions that:
- fill gaps in historical narratives, speak to key historiographical questions, and/or address pressing contemporary issues;
- reflect the diversity of the past and expand narratives of the early American republic to highlight Indigenous, Black, and global histories;
- focus on pedagogy and/or public history, as well as on digital humanities and other alternative methodologies;
- take nontraditional forms, such as centering audience participation, sharing pre-circulated papers, or assessing the state of a given field.
SHEAR is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages panels that feature members of groups who have been historically underrepresented within the organization. Potential panelists should seek gendered, racial, institutional, interpretive, and career diversity, and each panel proposal should include a statement about how the panel furthers SHEAR’s commitment to diversity. Individual proposals will be considered, but the Program Committee prioritizes proposals for complete panels including a chair and commentator. The committee will consider proposals for traditional panels (3-4 papers plus chair and comment), roundtables (4-5 presenters plus chair/moderator), or other creative formats. In select cases, the committee may choose to alter or rearrange proposed panels and participants. Refer to the guidance available at https://www.shear.org/proposal-guidelines/ as you prepare your proposal.
All submissions should be filed as a single document (Word doc preferred), labeled with the first initial and surname of the contact person (e.g., “SmithJ2022”). All proposals must include:
- Panel title, one-paragraph description of panel topic, and one-paragraph panel diversity statement
- Email addresses and institutional affiliations (if applicable) for all participants
- Title and 100-word abstract for each paper
- One-page curriculum vitae for each participant, including chairs and commentators
- Indication of any needs for ADA accommodation
- Indication of any audio-visual requests (please request only if A/V is essential to a presentation)
The deadline for submission is December 1, 2021. Please submit your proposals by email at SHEAR2022@gmail.com with “SHEAR 2022” in the subject line. Looking forward!
Christopher Bonner, University of Maryland, Co-chair
Caitlin Fitz, Northwestern University, Co-chair
Brooke Bauer, University of Tennessee – Knoxville
Jonathan Earle, Louisiana State University
Justene Hill Edwards, University of Virginia
Brian Franklin, Southern Methodist University
Jessica Marie Johnson, Johns Hopkins University
Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers, University of California, Berkeley
Lindsay Keiter, Penn State Altoona
Adam Xavier McNeil, Rutgers University
Hayley Negrin, University of Illinois at Chicago
Erika Pani, El Colegio de México
Sarah Weicksel, American Historical Association
Shane White, University of Sydney