Call For Papers
18 – 21 July 2019
The 41st annual meeting of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic will convene July 18 – 21, 2019 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The program committee invites proposals for sessions and papers exploring all aspects of and approaches to the history and culture of the early American republic, c. 1776-1861. We particularly encourage submissions that
- reflect the diversity of the past, but also address the most pressing issues of the present;
- fill gaps in the historical narrative and/or historiography;
- focus on pedagogy, public history, digital humanities, and other alternative methodologies;
- foster audience participation, feature pre-circulated papers, or assess the state of a given field.
Individual proposals will be considered, but the program committee gives priority to proposals for complete panels that include a chair and commentator. Attention should be given to forming panels with gendered, racial, institutional, and interpretive diversity, representing as well different professional ranks and careers. Individuals interested in serving as chairs or commentators should submit a one-page curriculum vitae. Please do not agree to serve on more than one proposed panel. The committee reserves the right to alter and rearrange proposed panels and participants. Please employ the guidelines available under the “Annual Meeting” menu at www.shear.org when preparing your proposal.
All submissions should be filed as one document (Word doc preferred), labeled with the first initial and surname of the contact person (e.g., “SmithJ2019”). All proposals must include
- Panel title and one-paragraph description of panel’s topic
- Email addresses and institutional affiliations for designated contact person and each participant
- A title and description in no more than 100 words for each paper
- A single-page curriculum vitae for each participant, including chairs and commentators
- Indication of any needs for ADA accommodation or requirement
- Indication of any audio-visual requests (please request only if A/V is essential to a presentation)
Deadline for submission is December 1, 2018. Please submit your proposals by email to the program committee co-chairs at SHEAR2019@gmail.com with “SHEAR2019” in the subject line.
Frank Cogliano, University of Edinburgh, co-chair
Sarah Pearsall, Cambridge University, co-chair
John Belohlavek, University of South Florida
Sarah Barringer Gordon, University of Pennsylvania
Richard Bell, University of Maryland
Douglas Bradburn, George Washington’s Mt. Vernon
Liz Covart, Ben Franklin’s World
Kathleen DuVal, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Caitlin Fitz, Northwestern University
Adam Jortner, Auburn University
Jane Kamensky, Harvard University
Ari Kelman, University of California, Davis
Benjamin E. Park, Sam Houston State University
Steven Sarson, Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3
Manisha Sinha, University of Connecticut
Katheryn P. Viens, Massachusetts Historical Society