As in the past, The Historical Society of Pennsylvania will open early (10am) on the Thursday of SHEAR, July 20. On both Thursday and Friday, library admission will be free to registered conference attendees; please show a conference badge or registration confirmation along with a photo ID when you sign in. (General admission is always free for students with ID, and $8.00 for others.)
If you haven’t been to HSP within the last five years, you’ll need to fill out a new registration form; you can download and print the form here to fill out ahead of time if you wish.
HSP has scheduled extra staff for paging but wait times may be longer than usual due to a high volume of researchers.
- Research hours on Thursday and Friday will be 10am to 5:30 pm, with last admission and last call slips accepted at 4:45.
- You may bring in anything that opens on three sides like a book: laptops, loose papers, notebooks, legal pads, index cards, phones, tablets, etc.
- No pens, highlighters, food, or drink in the library.
- Anything that closes like a backpack, briefcase, or purse may not enter the library (except in cases of medical need); HSP has approximately 80 lockers in the lobby, but if you have a room at the Doubletree it would be best to leave bags there if you can.
- Microfilm machines accept flash drives for saving images from film.
- Photography without the use of a flash is permitted for non-commercial use.
- Photocopies are $0.50/page, and may not be available on the same day depending on the volume of researchers.
- HSP has a café area available for researchers with a fridge, microwave, water cooler, and a Keurig coffee maker (pods available at the front desk for $1.00)